Monday 13 April 2009

Dr. Brown - In the World of Dreams


My only previous contact with Dr Brown was with 'Freakbeat', a fine track they contributed to the 'Psychedelic Psauna' compiliation.  With its improvised sonic lunacy and very bassy groove, it sounds like it's being transmitted live from some deep underground festival.  I never managed to track down any more of their output, but thanks to Kev, ex-singer with Dr Brown, I acquired this album a couple of months ago and it's been on heavy rotation ever since. For fans of bluesy lysergic 70s festival rock, you really can't go wrong. It brings to mind Hawkwind, Pink Fairies, Edgar Broughton, Groundhogs, Here and Now etc. There's various styles on offer, from the full-on boogie of 'Big Red Ford Capri' to the Hawkwind-esque space-rock of 'Magic Cat', from the folk-reggae of 'Celebrate the World of Dreams' to 'Faithless' which, strangely enough when considering the sound on the rest of the album, is vaguely reminiscent of 'Big City' period Spacemen 3. Highly recommended, a thoroughly enjoyable album.

Track Listing:

1. Insecurity
2. Magic Cat
3. The Oak
4. Ought To Tell Her
5. Live To Die
6. Big Red Ford Capri
7. Faithless
8. Unchained
9. Celebrate the World of Dreams

Get it here

9 comments:

zillagord said...

Welcome back man. Thanks for this one, I totally dig that song on the comp, too.

Hope you are well.
Zilla

Anonymous said...

Anyone got anything by Apple Creation? Just some info on the group would be nice. I love their "Gift Horse" EP, and am looking for their "Instant" EP.

Oh, great blog!

Herod said...

Hey Zilla, good to hear from you. I need to go back through my e-mails cos I know there's some sounds waiting there that you sent me but I forgot to grab. Odawas, if my memory serves me well. Hope the link still works. Speak to you soon.

gareth said...

Welcome back, I love this blog and Dr.Brown are simply great! I remember a wonderful album with a black'n'white cover in the eraly Nineties, what was that called? And in a future could you maybe post the early Magic Mushroom Band output, such as Bomshankar? I know they were not on Delerium, but the inspiration was the same...
Thanks for making me trip back to these wonderful days!!!

Herod said...

Gareth - glad you like the blog and continue to find sounds here that lovingly caress your tympanic membrane. Thanks for the welcome back also. This will probably be one of those intermittent blogs with flurries of activity for a while and then nothing.

Magic Mushroom Band, you say? Done! Their debut album is now posted, hope you enjoy it.

gareth said...

Oh wonderful!!! Many thanks

kev ellis said...

The album with the black and white cover was "another realm" and can be downloaded here
http://sharebee.com/afcb1b05

and here is an unreleased Dr Brown live album with Hawkwind's Huw LLoyd Langton on guitar
http://sharebee.com/8a02032d

you may alo be interested in my current musical project, Bubbledubble
(www.myspace.com/bubbledubble) cd available to download from amazon/itunes, CD's from
http://www.mychoonz.co.uk/
(much other freak psych on sale here too..)
good vibes
Kev

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

coloured vinyl copy on sale here
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180583921702&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT